Positioned squarely in the middle of the full-size sport/utility market, the full-size Blazer and Tahoe were designed to appeal to buyers who value no-nonsense versatility and rock-solid performance. Competitors included the near-twin GMC Yukon as well as the Ford Bronco.
|N/A||2DR Sport Utility||1999|
|2DR Sport Utility (4WD)||2DR Sport Utility (4WD)|
|N/A||4DR Sport Utility||Still current|
|4DR Sport Utility (4WD)|
The full-size Blazer's standard engine was a 5.7-liter ohv V8. Gas engines were mated to a standard 5-speed manual transmission (upgraded for easier shifting and quieter operation) or an optional 4-speed automatic; the diesel engine was available only with the automatic. All Blazers came with 4-wheel-drive. The 1992 Blazer was unveiled at the 1992 North American International Auto Show on January 9, 1992.
New for 1994 was an optional bigger engine -- a 6.5-liter turbocharged V8 diesel.
The Tahoe was introduced in 1994 as a 1995 model, replacing the previous model year's V8 Blazer. It retained the distinctive look of its predecessor, but offered such new features as a driver-side airbag, brake-transmission shift interlock, an all-new instrument panel and contoured seats. Also included were an optional center console (standard with uplevel bucket seats) converted to a mobile work station with a pivoting writing surface, map pocket, removable coin holder and a latched rear storage drawer. Later in the model year, a 4-door Tahoe made its debut.
The 2-door Tahoe came in three trim levels -- Standard, LS and LT, while the 4-door Tahoe was offered with a choice of 2wd or 4wd. A 2-speed transfer case with a floor-mounted shifter provided shift-on-the-fly operation.
As of December 17, 1993:
- $21,630 (1994 Chevrolet Blazer 2DR 4WD)
As of November 1994:
- $21,830 (1995 Chevrolet Tahoe 2DR 4WD)
As of January 23, 1995:
- $26,385 (1995 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4DR)
As of July 14, 1995:
- $22,030 (1995 Chevrolet Tahoe 2DR 4WD)
- $26,019 (1995 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 2DR 4WD; optional)
- $27,671 (1995 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 2DR 4WD; optional)
- $27,860 (1995 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4DR; optional)
- $28,585 (1995 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4DR 4WD)
- $30,060 (1995 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4DR 4WD; optional)
As of September 4, 1995:
- $22,886 (1996 Chevrolet Tahoe 2DR)
- $25,136 (1996 Chevrolet Tahoe 2DR 4WD)
- $28,264 (1996 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4DR)
- $30,464 (1996 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4DR 4WD)
- $600 (1993-1994 models)
- $610 (1995 models)
- $615 (1996 models)